• Skateboarding in the 1960s
  • Posted 45 months ago by Jack Lowe · Art & Design · 116493 Views
  • Shot by Bill Eppridge back in the 1960s for LIFE magazine, these black and white images depict both kids and adults skateboarding around New York and, by the looks of it, this was a time when anyone could get involved and skating wasn't so frowned upon by society like it sometimes is now.

Source: Interweb 3000

• this is amazing ! show more stuff like this please !
    • chris macarthur Posted 45 months ago · 183 Reply
    • Let's me honest, it's frowned upon because most skaters are tossers. I used to skate and I was constantly rolling my eyes at the people I had to hang around with. They're basically chavs with better fashion sense and taste.
    • Andy Posted 45 months ago · 154 Reply
    • It's true, a lot of skateboarders are utter twats. Ruining it for the rest.
    • Tom Posted 45 months ago · 166 Reply
    • the worst is when you see skaters ripping on someone because they can't do something... Like they were always good at it or something. That said I've met some okay skaters... guys who have shown me the ropes in the past.
    • michael Posted 45 months ago · 150 Reply
    • I agree, skateboarding is only frowned upon by some because a lot of the people involved act like complete dicks. Talking from experience, the majority ruin it for the minority. Take for example some of the SLAP new york clips.. So it's nothing specific to skateboarding - just that there are more people skateboarding now and people generally have less manners and respect, it's a combination of the two. Nice photos anyway.
    • this guy Posted 45 months ago · 183 Reply
    • Skateboarding is fun. It always has been fun. As an old skater, these photos remind me of what it was like when I first started riding. Now I remember: ....hey this thing finally makes pavement fun to be on! I mean...if human beings are going to pave the planet over...let my people skate. Great piece. Thank you.
    • Abe Posted 45 months ago · 184 Reply
    • I used to ride in the late 70's as a kid...the board I had looked similar to these except it was hard plastic... it was all about the fun... there were no posers in my neighborhood...not the way they are today...one thinking they're cooler than the next...but thats how everything is in the beginning
    • celladee Posted 45 months ago · 166 Reply
    • Thank you for sharing these images. Skateboarding has always been FUN. I will share this link
    • Michael Posted 45 months ago · 182 Reply
    • Skateboarding is still fun. If you're angry at someone else doing it -then you're not having any fun. Or you're crap at it!
    • 31 -still skating Posted 45 months ago · 139 Reply
    • HA! the "3 people / 2 boards" thing looks like a lot of fun!
    • supercarrot Posted 45 months ago · 125 Reply
    • Great to see ! We still had clay wheels in the early 70's. Kept one '- my kids don't believe me ..... Thanks for the pics!
    • Wolfram Posted 45 months ago · 118 Reply
    • great pics of people having some real fun ! Guess they didn't had to wear the right clothes to skate back then... how the culture has changed so sadly...
    • Lasse Posted 45 months ago · 158 Reply
    • Just awesome. If we can skate together why can't we live together?
    • Daved benefield Posted 44 months ago · 164 Reply
    • Skating is just pure fun !! I'm nearly 52 and am still skateboarding/sidewalk surfing (and surfing) with my daughter who is 23. Love the photos, brings me back to the early 70s when I started skateboarding; That's all we did with our mates on weekends - several of us would just skateboard along the streets, in car parks, in abandoned kidney shaped swimming pools, underground storm water drains (awesome fun with our torches in hand). Cheers Mark (Melbourne, Australia)
    • Mark (Melbourne, Australia) Posted 34 months ago · 167 Reply