• Skateboarding in the 1960s
  • Posted 32 months ago by Jack Lowe · Art & Design · 101190 Views
  • Shot by Bill Eppridge back in the 1960s for LIFE magazine, these black and white images depict both kids and adults skateboarding around New York and, by the looks of it, this was a time when anyone could get involved and skating wasn't so frowned upon by society like it sometimes is now.

Source: Interweb 3000

• this is amazing ! show more stuff like this please !
    • chris macarthur Posted 32 months ago · 62 Reply
    • Let's me honest, it's frowned upon because most skaters are tossers. I used to skate and I was constantly rolling my eyes at the people I had to hang around with. They're basically chavs with better fashion sense and taste.
    • Andy Posted 32 months ago · 41 Reply
    • It's true, a lot of skateboarders are utter twats. Ruining it for the rest.
    • Tom Posted 32 months ago · 53 Reply
    • the worst is when you see skaters ripping on someone because they can't do something... Like they were always good at it or something. That said I've met some okay skaters... guys who have shown me the ropes in the past.
    • michael Posted 32 months ago · 29 Reply
    • I agree, skateboarding is only frowned upon by some because a lot of the people involved act like complete dicks. Talking from experience, the majority ruin it for the minority. Take for example some of the SLAP new york clips.. So it's nothing specific to skateboarding - just that there are more people skateboarding now and people generally have less manners and respect, it's a combination of the two. Nice photos anyway.
    • this guy Posted 32 months ago · 57 Reply
    • Skateboarding is fun. It always has been fun. As an old skater, these photos remind me of what it was like when I first started riding. Now I remember: ....hey this thing finally makes pavement fun to be on! I mean...if human beings are going to pave the planet over...let my people skate. Great piece. Thank you.
    • Abe Posted 32 months ago · 64 Reply
    • I used to ride in the late 70's as a kid...the board I had looked similar to these except it was hard plastic... it was all about the fun... there were no posers in my neighborhood...not the way they are today...one thinking they're cooler than the next...but thats how everything is in the beginning
    • celladee Posted 32 months ago · 43 Reply
    • Thank you for sharing these images. Skateboarding has always been FUN. I will share this link
    • Michael Posted 32 months ago · 39 Reply
    • Skateboarding is still fun. If you're angry at someone else doing it -then you're not having any fun. Or you're crap at it!
    • 31 -still skating Posted 32 months ago · 21 Reply
    • HA! the "3 people / 2 boards" thing looks like a lot of fun!
    • supercarrot Posted 32 months ago · 23 Reply
    • Great to see ! We still had clay wheels in the early 70's. Kept one '- my kids don't believe me ..... Thanks for the pics!
    • Wolfram Posted 32 months ago · 20 Reply
    • great pics of people having some real fun ! Guess they didn't had to wear the right clothes to skate back then... how the culture has changed so sadly...
    • Lasse Posted 32 months ago · 37 Reply
    • Just awesome. If we can skate together why can't we live together?
    • Daved benefield Posted 31 months ago · 43 Reply
    • Skating is just pure fun !! I'm nearly 52 and am still skateboarding/sidewalk surfing (and surfing) with my daughter who is 23. Love the photos, brings me back to the early 70s when I started skateboarding; That's all we did with our mates on weekends - several of us would just skateboard along the streets, in car parks, in abandoned kidney shaped swimming pools, underground storm water drains (awesome fun with our torches in hand). Cheers Mark (Melbourne, Australia)
    • Mark (Melbourne, Australia) Posted 21 months ago · 29 Reply
  • Curated By: Dwight Pavlovic
  • 32 months ago · Art & Design · 2 Comments · 8681 Views
  • This weeks curated by comes from Dwight Pavlovic, co-founder of Decoder Magazine. Decoder is a new bi-annual music and culture publication, born from the ashes of former Altered Zones contributor Get Off The Coast.
  • The Journal Entry 31
  • 32 months ago · Art & Design · 0 Comments · 5699 Views
  • Entry 31, the latest issue of the well-curated and beautifully printed magazine The Journal, has just been released. Inside you'll find an interview with Kevin Kelly - the co-founder of Wired magazine, a selection of zines, an Icelandic shoot by Elisa Sednaoui, and an extraordinary...
  • Robi Rodriquez for POP
  • 32 months ago · Art & Design · 7 Comments · 11182 Views
  • Below is a sneak peak at a gorilla-featuring shoot Robi Rodriguez was commissioned to do for the new issue of POP magazine. All styling is by Vanessa Reid.
  • Supreme SS12 Lookbook
  • 32 months ago · culture · 5 Comments · 36669 Views
  • Ever since those Kate Moss & Supreme wheat paste posters were found last week, the hype for the new collection from Supreme has been building and building. Well, the wait is over. Below is the new lookbook for their Spring/Summer 2012 collection which features button-up shirts, some...
  • Thierry Mugler's NYC Penthouse
  • 32 months ago · Art & Design · 7 Comments · 9362 Views
  • Located in Chelsea, New York, this penthouse belongs to fashion designer Thierry Mugler, but if you've got $8 million and like the look of it, it could soon be yours. Mugler recently put the 2 bedroom apartment on the market with Sothebys for exactly $7,995,000. The apartment totals...