- Oscar Winners 2012
- Posted 36 months ago by Jack Lowe · film · 5442 Views
The Artist, a silent film which we thought was absolutely fantastic, tied with the Martin Scorsese film Hugo at the 84th annual Academy Awards, with both taking home five awards. The overall victory was with The Artist, however, earning three of the top awards. The Artist won for Best Picture, Best Costume Design, Best Original Score, Best Actor, and Best Director, while Hugo took Best Cinematography, Best Art Direction, Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing, and Best Visual Effects.
The rest of the evening was relatively uneventful, apart from Sacha Baron Cohen, one of Hugo's stars, being escorted from the red-carpet area after turning up in a fake beard and uniform, a fake jar of Kim Jong-il's ashes, and a pair of female body guards.
All the Oscar 2012 winners:
Best Picture: "The Artist"
Best Actress: Meryl Streep, "The Iron Lady"
Best Actor: Jean Dujardin, "The Artist"
Best Director: Michel Hazanavicius, "The Artist"
Best Animated Short: "The Fantastic Flying Books Of Mr. Morris Lessmore"
Best Documentary Short: "Saving Face"
Best Live Action Short: "The Shore"
Best Original Screenplay: Woody Allen, "Midnight in Paris"
Best Adapted Screenplay: Alexander Payne, Nat Faxon and Jim Rash, "The Descendants"
Best Original Song: Bret McKenzie, "Man or Muppet"
Best Original Score: Ludovic Bource, "The Artist"
Best Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer, "Beginners"
Best Visual Effects: "Hugo"
Best Animated Feature: "Rango"
Best Documentary: "Undefeated"
Best Sound Mixing: Tom Fleischman and John Midgley, "Hugo"
Best Sound Editing: Phillip Stockton and Eugene Gearty, "Hugo"
Best Editing: Kirk Baxter and Angus Wall, "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo"
Best Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer, "The Help"
Best Foreign Language Film: "A Separation"
Best Makeup: Mark Coulier and J. Roy Helland, "The Iron Lady"
Best Costume Design: Mark Bridges, "The Artist"
Best Art Direction: Dante Ferretti and Francesca Lo Schavo, "Hugo"
Best Cinematography: Robert Richardson, "Hugo"
- Curated By: Dwight Pavlovic
- 36 months ago · Art & Design · 2 Comments · 10407 Views
- This weeks curated by comes from Dwight Pavlovic, co-founder of Decoder Magazine. Decoder is a new bi-annual music and culture publication, born from the ashes of former Altered Zones contributor Get Off The Coast.
- Submission Sunday
- 36 months ago · Art & Design · 8 Comments · 8392 Views
- This Sunday we've been rather taken by the work of Daniel Evans, a photographer who, since graduating with a BA in photography from Farnham last year, splits his time between London & Liverpool. Despite his professional career only just beginning, Evans has already been commissioned...
- Tiffin Box
- 36 months ago · Art & Design · 2 Comments · 6400 Views
- If you're in need of an sophisticated looking lunchbox, this tiffin box designer by Lorea Sinclaire could well be perfect for you. The two bowls, which have been cast in durable thin-walled ceramics, stack on top of each other and then seal with a cork lid, which both seals in the...
- Rumour: Hedi Slimane To Become Head Designer at YSL
- 36 months ago · culture · 0 Comments · 6468 Views
- A rumour has emerged that the French fashion designer Hedi Slimane may well be taking over from Stefano Pilati as head designer at fashion house YSL. In recent years Slimane has reinvented himself as a photographer, gaining a...
- Mark McNairy Women's Autumn/Winter 2012 Collection
- 36 months ago · culture · 0 Comments · 5726 Views
- Mark McNairy, a fashion designer who's better known for his shoes, has created a new women's collection inspired by his daughter. The line actually bears little resemblance to his footwear collections and uses lots of fur and...
- House in Aoto
- 36 months ago · Art & Design · 3 Comments · 6853 Views
- Located in Tokyo, Japan, this house has been designed around a central spiral staircase which enables inhabitants and guests to move through the building with ease, going up and down and from room to room at the same time. The total floor area of the design is 144 sqm, with the ground...
- The Gentlewoman Issue Nº5
- 36 months ago · culture · 0 Comments · 7287 Views
- For their fifth issue, the already massively popular magazine The Gentlewoman spoke to an array of "brilliant and inventive women" such as the actress/model Tilda Swinton, singer Sinéad O’Connor, Internet pioneer Martha Lane Fox, tennis star Maria Sharapova and the legendary supermodel...
- Interview: Chris McGuigan
- 36 months ago · Art & Design · 2 Comments · 5273 Views
- Chris McGuigan is the founder of Mini Title, a new creative agency representing Harley Weir, Robi Rodriguez, Carl Kleiner, Blommers & Schumm, William Selden, and other highly talented people. We spoke to him about setting up the agency and the direction he wants to take it in.