- American Apparel Ads Banned
- Posted 30 months ago by staff · culture · 14042 Views
American Apparel are certainly known for their provocative adverts, but apparently they've taken it too far with the "nude buttocks" in their latest series of eight ads. The UK's Advertising Standards Authority say they are too exploitative and pornographic."We considered that in the particular context of images which featured nudity and sexually provocative poses, there was a voyeuristic and 'amateurish' quality to the images which served to heighten the impression that the ads were exploitative of women and inappropriately sexualized young women."
In retaliation, AA said it was "important to judge what was and was not offensive by reference to the current times and the views of the majority of decent and reasonable people, not a small and puritanically-minded minority." They also defended their choice to use "real women" rather than models in their shoot, stating that consumers can relate to these types of photographs and that the women were "happy, relaxed, and confident in expression and pose."
The final decision taken was that 7 of the 8 ads will not be allowed to run again, and American Apparel have been warned not to produce similar ads in the future.
- sex sells. duh. i like the adds. they arent crazy or far fetched. i would rather see these adds instead of most out there. i think most of us can relate to these people a lot easier than celebrities on yachts drinking Champagne looking fake as fuck. Or buff french guys wearing speedos with amazing hair advertising cologne. ( ie; all adds shot by mario testino)
- colby Posted 29 months ago · 36 Reply
- Video: A Cloudy Cruise with PJ Ladd
- 30 months ago · culture · 5 Comments · 4662 Views
- Skater owned and run online shop Brick Harbor have released a short clip with one of their pros - the talented PJ Ladd. Here he's back in his hometown of Boston on a cloudy day, seamlessly skating some of the spots he hasn't visited in years. Watch below!
- Video: Liquipel - A Revolutionary Product
- 30 months ago · culture · 1 Comment · 2516 Views
- A little while ago we posted about a potentially revolutionary new product which enabled pretty much anything to become waterproof. A new video produced by the people over at Gourmet Footwear (sneaker heads are particularly interested...
- Damien Hirst Retrospective, Tate Modern
- 30 months ago · Art & Design · 1 Comment · 9124 Views
- With Damien Hirst's retrospective now open at Tate Modern, we can have a proper look at what work has been exhibited and how the space has been used. The exhibition is the most intensive show of Damien Hirst's work in the UK, including over 70 pieces from the 20 years of his creative...
- Dominic Jones AW12 Jewellery Collection
- 30 months ago · culture · 0 Comments · 9890 Views
- For his Autumn/Winter 2012 collection, jewellery designer of the moment Dominic Jones has taken inspiration from faraway lands, while choosing his muses and models from closer to home. "The look book is very English feeling with Jessica Brown-Findlay (Lady Sybil in Downtown Abbey)...
- Made To Order Louis Vuitton
- 30 months ago · culture · 0 Comments · 5322 Views
- Made To Order is a new bespoke service French high-end label Louis Vuitton are offering for men to create their perfect pair of shoes. "You choose the shape, the material, the finish, everything to invent the shoe that corresponds precisely to your tastes and desires. Three thousand...