- Have £1,000 - Just For Being Good
- Posted 12 months ago by staff · culture · 4022 Views
Apologies for telling you about this after it happened, but yesterday a well-meaning millionaire was in London handing out gifts of £1,000 to people they thought looked worthy of a bit of extra money. In return, all they asked was that they did something good with it such as making a charity donation, helping someone less fortunate, or just to make someone a little bit happier.
The anonymous person was lucky enough to suddenly come into more money than they would ever need last year and, after spending a chunk of it booking a space flight with Virgin Galactic, they became increasingly embraced about blowing what was essentially a life changing amount of money on themselves. A few days later they cancelled the booking.
Speaking through the project's website (Wearelucky), they say:"I promised myself that I'd do something great with that space flight money. Something to really make a difference. I wanted to find a cool way to give the cash away - spread it around - but at the same time retain some kind of affinity with the benefactors. I thought long and hard about how to make an impact in a way that I could be involved in and would feel good about. I wrestled with this for ages and the more I thought about it, the more difficult it was. That was how Wearelucky came about. I decided to pass on my good luck to others by giving away £1,000 every day."
For more information on the project, the millionaire's back story, and what people have spent the money on so far - head over to www.we-are-lucky.com.
- How odd. Did everyone get £1,000, or did someone get a lot more? 'A life changing amount', for whom, someone with only a few more hours left to live? 'after spending a chunk of it booking a space flight with Virgin Galactic', last time I checked a flight to space was £125,000...
- Chris Posted 12 months ago · 1 Reply
- I'm sorry there seems to be some Space flights cost $200,000 each, i cancelled my booking and decided to spend the rest of my money in a better way, of which this is part and which i think is making lots of people smile. I know there are lots of ways to do something good but i couldn't decide what to do so i chose to let others decide, parcel up the cash into GBP1000 chunks, or there abouts in other currencies, and see what happens. I think its lovely what the people have done but i can understand your concerns. Please email me ay firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any direct questions and i will be happy to answer them or call you back to talk to you. Wearelucky. x
- Wearelucky. Posted 12 months ago · 0 Reply