- Have £1,000 - Just For Being Good
- Posted 30 months ago by Jack Lowe · culture · 10662 Views
Apologies for telling you about this after it happened, but yesterday a well-meaning millionaire was in London handing out gifts of £1,000 to people they thought looked worthy of a bit of extra money. In return, all they asked was that they did something good with it such as making a charity donation, helping someone less fortunate, or just to make someone a little bit happier.
The anonymous person was lucky enough to suddenly come into more money than they would ever need last year and, after spending a chunk of it booking a space flight with Virgin Galactic, they became increasingly embraced about blowing what was essentially a life changing amount of money on themselves. A few days later they cancelled the booking.
Speaking through the project's website (Wearelucky), they say:"I promised myself that I'd do something great with that space flight money. Something to really make a difference. I wanted to find a cool way to give the cash away - spread it around - but at the same time retain some kind of affinity with the benefactors. I thought long and hard about how to make an impact in a way that I could be involved in and would feel good about. I wrestled with this for ages and the more I thought about it, the more difficult it was. That was how Wearelucky came about. I decided to pass on my good luck to others by giving away £1,000 every day."
For more information on the project, the millionaire's back story, and what people have spent the money on so far - head over to www.we-are-lucky.com.
- How odd. Did everyone get £1,000, or did someone get a lot more? 'A life changing amount', for whom, someone with only a few more hours left to live? 'after spending a chunk of it booking a space flight with Virgin Galactic', last time I checked a flight to space was £125,000...
- Chris Posted 30 months ago · 84 Reply
- I'm sorry there seems to be some Space flights cost $200,000 each, i cancelled my booking and decided to spend the rest of my money in a better way, of which this is part and which i think is making lots of people smile. I know there are lots of ways to do something good but i couldn't decide what to do so i chose to let others decide, parcel up the cash into GBP1000 chunks, or there abouts in other currencies, and see what happens. I think its lovely what the people have done but i can understand your concerns. Please email me ay firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any direct questions and i will be happy to answer them or call you back to talk to you. Wearelucky. x
- Wearelucky. Posted 30 months ago · 39 Reply
- Listen: Purity Ring - Fineshrine
- 30 months ago · music · 0 Comments · 5273 Views
- Adding to their string of well-received singles, Canadian band Purity Ring have released a previously unheard melodic R&B track called "Fineshrine", which will feature on their upcoming LP Shrines, released through record label 4AD on 24 July, 2012. Take a listen below.
- Cement Bleak by Isaac Cordal
- 30 months ago · Art & Design · 2 Comments · 3951 Views
- "Cement Bleak" is an urban installation created by artist Isaac Cordal in 2009, using colanders to sculpt faces which are then projected onto the street surface in Dalston, London, using the pre-existing light. When Agenda Magazine asked Cordal about the increasing popularity of...
- Video: Freeling - A Skateboard Documentary
- 30 months ago · culture · 9 Comments · 6604 Views
- Directed by Andrew Lovgren, Freeling is an award winning 26-minute-long documentary about skateboarding and everything surrounding it. Started a little over a year ago, the project began as Lovgren's way of inspiring people to...
- Photos: Matt Furie & Michelle Devereux - The Goblin Universe
- 30 months ago · Art & Design · 0 Comments · 10381 Views
- A little while ago we posted about Matt Furie's new exhibition with Michelle Devereux at the New Image Art gallery in Los Angeles. Named "The Goblin Universe"...
- Video: Adidas Skateboarding Melbourne Feature
- 30 months ago · culture · 0 Comments · 9208 Views
- The adidas skate team recently headed down under to skate some of the best spots Melbourne has to offer. Local team members such as Tom Snape and Dennis Durrant met up with the likes of Mark Gonzales, Dennis Busenitz, Silas Baxter-Neal,...
- Video: Sigur Ros - Fjogur Piano feat. Shia LaBeouf
- 30 months ago · music · 7 Comments · 13809 Views
- Icelandic band Sigur Ros, famous for singing unintelligible lyrics called Vonlenska, have teamed up with filmmaker Alma Har'el (winner of Best Documentary Tribeca Film Festival) to produce the sixth installment of their "Valtari...
- New Music Playlist Vol. 4
- 30 months ago · music · 4 Comments · 7773 Views
- With the 4th volume of our new music playlist (put together by our friends at Neighborhood Tapes) come nine new tracks from bands making waves throughout the internet this month, including Fabiana Palladino, R~O~M~A~N, Haleek Maul and Pressed And.
- Music Video Monday
- 30 months ago · music · 1 Comment · 2980 Views
- New videos this Monday coming from The Invisible, Slime, Bobby Womack, AlunaGeorge and Only Real. Directed by Mark Glenister & Joe Hunt, Harry Winteringham, Jamie-James Medina & Yusuf Pirhasan, Laurence Matthew Blake & Matilda Finn and Freddieboyfilms. Enjoy!