- The Most Viewed Photograph Ever
- Posted 28 months ago by Jack Lowe · Art & Design · 27456 Views
It may not be the most striking or impressive of images, but the most viewed photograph of all time is probably "Bliss" - a photograph by Charles O’Rear which was set as Microsoft Windows XP's default wallpaper for the "Luna" theme and is estimated to have been seen by an audience of 1 billion.
The photograph was taken by O'Rear (a former National Geographic photographer) while on a break from another assignment in California’s Napa Valley and was originally published back in 2002. O'Rear hasn't ever disclosed what Microsoft paid him for the rights to the image, but he has said it's an "extraordinary" amount.
Speaking to blog Mashable about the image, O'Rear said: "All the folks I talk with agree it is the most 'recognizable' photo ever. If it were shown to a villager in rural China, for example, good chance they would recognize it. If it were shown to astronauts on the ISS, good bet they would know it, too. I have seen it appear in photos of the White House situation room, the Kremlin, etc."
Image copyright: Microsoft
- I actually met the guy few years ago who took this pic, super nice guy! Our App features quite a few wineries around this area www.WineryFinderApp.com, after this post maybe we will mention it in our App so that people can stop for bragging rights and take a pic of their own.
- WineryFinderApp Posted 28 months ago · 42 Reply
- LIFE: World War II - Pictures We Remember
- 28 months ago · Art & Design · 3 Comments · 18311 Views
- For many, World War II was the biggest single event of their lives, transforming the world more than any other recorded conflict in history. "Cities were obliterated; national borders altered; revolutionary and, in some cases,...
- KENZO & Vans Authentic
- 28 months ago · culture · 0 Comments · 7270 Views
- Japanese fashion label KENZO have joined forces with Vans once again, this time to give the Californian-brand's well-known Authentic model a bit of a make-over. The shoe comes in three different stripy colourways - yellow, black and white; green, yellow and white; or blue, yellow...
- Video: Hot Chip - Look At Where We Are
- 28 months ago · music · 0 Comments · 9467 Views
- Director Danny Perez - a filmmaker who frequently works with Animal Collective - has teamed up with the Creator's Project to created a weird, Frankenstein-esque video for Hot Chip's track "Look At Where We Are", which features on their latest album In Our Heads. Watch above!
- Lady Gaga Unveils Perfume Campaign
- 28 months ago · culture · 1 Comment · 2683 Views
- Lady Gaga has once again caused a buzz, previewing her latest perfume campaign through her Twitter account. The image, shot by photographer Steven Klein, features Gaga nude with an army of tiny men crawling over her body to cover vital areas.
- Wes Anderson's New Film Called The Grand Budapest Hotel
- 28 months ago · film · 2 Comments · 14121 Views
- A few days ago we heard that director Wes Anderson was approaching a number of big name actors about his next project (such as Johnny Depp and Jude Law), well now a few more details about that project have been released. We now...
- Video: Adidas Originals & Jeremy Scott Video Lookbook
- 28 months ago · culture · 1 Comment · 5197 Views
- Adidas Originals and Jeremy Scott have recruited the skills of talented director Nabil Elderkin - the man responsible for many Frank Ocean, Kanye West and Bon Iver videos - to create a video lookbook for their new collaborative...
- Frank Gehry for The Make It Right Foundation
- 28 months ago · Art & Design · 1 Comment · 5451 Views
- As part of Brad Pitt's Make It Right Foundation, which aims to build sustainable homes for communities in need, architect Frank Gehry has designed a new building in New Orleans' Lower 9th Ward, the neighbourhood most devastated...
- Carhartt WIP Autumn/Winter 2012 Lookbook
- 28 months ago · culture · 3 Comments · 6350 Views
- Carhartt have presented the latest lookbook from their streetwear side of operations - Work In Progress. The Fall/Winter 2012 collection features American workwear inspired pieces such as button-down shirts, sweaters, hoodies, and tees, all with a paired down, simple silhouette....