• Beck Releases New Album Only As Sheet Music
  • Posted 37 months ago by Jack Lowe · music · 12048 Views
  • As an "experiment in what an album can be at the end of 2012", musician Beck has teamed up with McSweeney's Publishing to release his new album "Song Reader" in the form of twenty individual pieces of sheet music, all of which have never before been released or recorded.

Each piece of music comes complete with a "heyday-of-home-play-inspired" art and a lavishly produced hardcover carrying case. "The songs here are as unfailingly exciting as you’d expect from their author, but if you want to hear 'Do We? We Do,' or 'Don’t Act Like Your Heart Isn’t Hard,' bringing them to life depends on you."

What do you think about Beck's decision - boring and unnecessary, or genius?

www.mcsweeneys.net

• wow, Beck really does take pretentious to a whole new level... and I hate using the word pretentious.
    • retrorevival Posted 37 months ago · 62 Reply
    • Why not? I can't read music though; as too would maybe 95% of his regular listeners. So unless there's a particularly lenient approach to the copyright then we won't even have the opportunity to care.
    • GreigPil Posted 37 months ago · 73 Reply
    • Amazing idea.
    • Atelier Posted 37 months ago · 67 Reply
    • I'm neutral, almost. It's cool, it's neat, it's original, but why? What's the point? To be the first?
    • Jon Jon Posted 37 months ago · 53 Reply
    • I can read music and I definitely want to record this. From a publishing perspective, there's nothing stopping an artist to record his music. The artist would merely have to pay royalties for licensing the music. I might even give a shot to the first pages I can see on his website. If y'all wanna hear it I'll be posting it here: https://www.facebook.com/0phe1ia
    • Debs Posted 37 months ago · 66 Reply
    • I think there are a lot of reasons why. The largest is publicity. It will also make seeing him in concert more interesting since it's the only time to hear the songs actually performed by Beck. I'm also curious to watch how the songs spread through social media/youtube and see how people interpret them.
    • Atelier Posted 37 months ago · 63 Reply
    • I think it's cool. No doubt he will welcome the plethora of rendition that are bound to hit youtube.
    • Adam Posted 37 months ago · 78
    • Yes, that is exactly the point. Before recording technology was invented this WAS the only way you could hear an artist's songs. Ironically, artists may be forced to go back to this method of performing since everyone seems to think that paying for an artist's recorded music is beneath them anymore.
    • Joe Posted 31 months ago · 64 Reply
    • So you don't get to hear the music at all unless you go and see it live? i'm confused.
    • David Posted 37 months ago · 74
    • Dear David, you only hear new Beck's music if you play it... right? :)
    • Fuga Posted 37 months ago · 64 Reply
    • Deerhoof did this same thing a year earlier, sorry Beck
    • Theo Posted 37 months ago · 79 Reply