- Cartier-Bresson: A Question of Colour
- Posted 25 months ago by Jack Lowe · Art & Design · 9496 Views
On 8 November, London's Somerset House and the Positive View Foundation will be opening and exhibition titled "Cartier-Bresson: A Question of Colour". Curated by William A. Ewing, the exhibition will feature 10 Henri Cartier-Bresson photographs never before exhibited in the UK alongside over 75 works by 15 international contemporary photographers, including Karl Baden, Carolyn Drake, Andy Freeberg, Fred Herzog, Helen Levitt, Jeff Mermelstein, and Alex Webb.
The aim of the show is to illustrate how "photographers working in Europe and North America adopted and adapted the master's ethos famously known as 'the decisive moment' to their work in colour." Cartier-Bresson was famously disparaging towards colour photography, stating that it has both technical and aesthetic limitations. Speaking about the show, curator William E. Ewing said:"This exhibition will show how Henri Cartier-Bresson, in spite of his skeptical attitude regarding the artistic value of colour photography, nevertheless exerted a powerful influence over photographers who took up the new medium and who were determined to put a personal stamp on it. In effect, his criticisms of colour spurred on a new generation, determined to overcome the obstacles and prove him wrong. A Question of Colour simultaneously pays homage to a master who felt that black and white photography was the ideal medium, and could not be bettered, and to a group of photographers of the 20th and 21st centuries who chose the path of colour and made, and continue to make, great strides."
"Cartier-Bresson: A Question of Colour" will run through 27 January, 2013.
- Video: Snoop Lion - La La La
- 25 months ago · music · 5 Comments · 6471 Views
- Following from his upgrade from Dogg to Lion, Snoop has released the video treatment for his debut single (under the new stage name) "La La La", which was produced by Major Lazer. Inspired by Halloween, the video features a bunch of children in costumes dancing around with psychedelic...
- Listen: Earl Sweatshirt - Chum
- 26 months ago · music · 0 Comments · 3123 Views
- Earlier today, Odd Future crew member Earl Sweatshirt took to Twitter and Tumblr to announce and release a new track called "Chum". In the song Earl raps lines such as "been back a week and I already feel like calling it quits," as well as taking about the relationship he has with...
- Alt-J Win Mercury Prize 2012
- 26 months ago · music · 0 Comments · 2743 Views
- Tonight, the British band Alt-J were announced as the winners of the prestigious Mercury Prize for their debut album An Awesome Wave. Released in September, the album received much critical acclaim with BBC Music calling it "strong, addictive and enthralling, the perfect accompaniment...
- Bob Dylan To Exhibit At Gagosian Gallery
- 26 months ago · Art & Design · 0 Comments · 2237 Views
- Gagosian Gallery Madison Avenue, NYC, have announced that on 28 November a new Bob Dylan exhibition will be going on show. An official press release is yet to be released, so for now all we have is the title of the exhibition - Revisionism: Thirty New Works - and a single artwork...
- 26 months ago · Art & Design · 0 Comments · 5482 Views
- Designed by Torsten Ottesjö, Hus-1 is a small wooden house designed to fit in with its surroundings seamlessly. Built to be freestanding, the 25 sqm structure can be moved whenever necessary, "though the feeling is that it has actually sprouted out of the ground it rests on." Unlike...
- Teaser: Kanye West - Cruel Winter
- 26 months ago · music · 0 Comments · 6008 Views
- Following from the success of the compilation album Cruel Summer featuring Jay-Z, Big Sean, Ghostface Killah, and 2 Chainz, Kanye West has once again brought the G.O.O.D. Music family together for a new release called Cruel Winter. So far only a teaser video has been released, which...
- Video: Moleskine Introduce New Planners
- 26 months ago · culture · 1 Comment · 6680 Views
- To introduce their colourful new planners, Moleskine have released a short stop-motion video demonstrating what the little pads are best at - helping your organise your day-to-day life. From watering the plants to international flights, Moleskine shows you how to stay organized while...
- On Space Time Foam
- 26 months ago · Art & Design · 0 Comments · 8362 Views
- Arts blog designboom recently met with Spanish artist Tomąs Saraceno to discuss a new piece of work he has on display at the Hangar Bicocca in Milan, Italy. Named "On Space Time Foam", the artwork is made from multiple layers of translucent PVC membranes suspended 24 meters above...