- NYC's New Neighbourhood
- Posted 34 months ago by Jack Lowe · Art & Design · 12543 Views
New York City is about to undergo one of the most interesting construction projects of recent history, building what is essentially an entire neighbourhood from scratch. Overseen by real estate firm Related Companies, the project will see sixteen skyscrapers constructed on Manhattan's West Side Yard, adding over 12 million square feet of office, residential, and retail space to the area.
Speaking about the long-delayed project at the beginning of construction the other day, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said: "After years and years of planning and partnership, breaking ground on the first commercial building of Hudson Yards is a wonderful thing. Today's groundbreaking means that the market has spoken, and that even in this challenging economy we're moving forward to make the Far West Side's economic potential a reality."
- @Kelci Not sure how this is separating from society, and while I don't think building tall buildings is "bettering society", I do think that tall buildings are New York tradition, going back to the late 1800s. Criticizing Manhattan for building skyscrapers is like criticizing a fish for swimming.
- Ted T. Posted 34 months ago · 55 Reply
- buildings always look like the same anyways, i do not really see the innovation here... there is light on the roof? woaw... why not building something amazing in a poor area of the town to dynamise it... art should not be that much linked to who has the money and that s why the only art that is true for me is painting.
- arnold Posted 34 months ago · 54 Reply
- John- yeah i agree, looks like they don't follow the same architecture style as the present skyscrapers, they almost clash. Jack- i think you will find America started building skyscrapers first, not sure of your cynical comment, if anything China wants to copy America in most things.
- Ben Posted 34 months ago · 75 Reply
- With the whole not fitting in thing, those earlier skyscrapers were generally built with the style and technology of the day taking it to a pinnacle of what could be done for the money they had. Doing anything less than that and producing a new building that wasn't a new idea, for a modern world wouldn't be true to the concept of a sky scraper.
- doug Posted 34 months ago · 63 Reply