• The University of California Receive New Logo Backlash
  • Posted 22 months ago by Jack Lowe · Art & Design · 6804 Views
  • The University of California have experienced a huge critical uproar following from the presentation of their new logo, much like when Wolff Olins unveiled the London 2012 Olympics mark. So far over 50,000 people have signed a petition urging for the institution to withdraw the new design, and even the state's Lieutenant Governor getting involved. Online, commenters are comparing the logo to a flushing toilet as well as voicing the usual "it looks like a 10 year old designed it," while the official petition reads: "The newly designed monogram of the University of California, while attempting to be modern, loses the prestige and elegance of the current seal." What do you think of the new design? Voice your opinion in the comments below.

• The type is blah but the symbol holds a concept which connects back to the old unit quite well. I believe that this unit appeals the current and the generations to come. Before voicing your opinions have a look at the making of the logo > http://pinterest.com/pin/104356916337315063/
    • Krishnaa Artisto Posted 22 months ago · 3 Reply
    • As an Advertising and Marketing Communication student, I can't say much about it as I don't know the brief. I would just say that the typography of letter "C" resembles too much with the ON/OFF button of a gadget. I wonder if the U.o.C. thought to put the monogram to public debate before choosing it as the official seal.
    • Ovidius Posted 22 months ago · 16 Reply
    • the leading of the letters is wrong the tracking the same, the "of" to the second row is wrong. well, pretty much everything. 10 year old, yes
    • capcana Posted 22 months ago · 10
    • capcana, you are graphic designer, seems so. The tracking and leading seems fine to me, these are things that a designer chooses so it cant be wrong or right. Its a design decision. I quite like this logo, bring it up to date with modern and current design methods. eg; Apple, ebay
    • Mitash Patel Posted 22 months ago · 4 Reply
    • Doesn't feel academic or remotely intellectual. And yes, all I can see is a toilet seat.
    • Chloe Posted 22 months ago · 3 Reply
    • I think the tracking and leading are fine! Capcana is being a little too picky there in my opinion. The choice of font isn't really my cup of tea but it's certainly not terrible. I don't think the mark itself is awful either - it may not look traditionally academic but at the very least it's fun. That said, the lockup and the mark don't sit together brilliantly. What I find odd is that HUH chose to profile the rebranding of a university in California over the arguably much more unsuccessful rebrand of London's own University of the Arts. The Olympic logo was a global mark for a global event and therefore warranted such attention. This definitely isn't 'world news' and I find it odd that I'm sitting in London, reading a London based blog and commenting on a unsuccessful rebranding of a university that sits half way across the other side of the planet. If we're going to talk about logo design for academic establishments then would it not be more relevant to look a little closer to home? I've never been to The University of California and know next to nothing about it.
    • C Posted 22 months ago · 10
    • A blog like this isn't really dependent on where it's based tho is it.
    • Tom Posted 22 months ago · 7 Reply
    • I like the idea behind it.. how its simplified it. maybe the logo mark isnt that aesthetically pleasing but the idea is cool of how they got to it form the old one https://vimeo.com/universityofcalifornia/identity
    • Jon Posted 22 months ago · 0 Reply
  • Video: Jessie Ware - Sweet Talk
  • 22 months ago · music · 1 Comment · 8176 Views
  • British singer Jessie Ware has now released the official video for track Sweet Talk, which comes from her debut album Devotion. Directed by Joel Wilson, the visuals take a new direction from her previous releases and star a young girl in the place of Jessie Ware, who's filmed recording...
  • AFP Pictures of the Year 2012
  • 22 months ago · Art & Design · 13 Comments · 65191 Views
  • With the year closing down, major news agency Agence France Press (AFP) have compiled a list of the most impactful photographs of the year. Covering natural disasters, revolutionary politics, and mankind's technological progress, the images come from all over the world and give us...
  • Interno Franciscio
  • 22 months ago · Art & Design · 1 Comment · 7380 Views
  • Designed by Gianluca Fanetti of Italian practice Studio Fanetti in 2010, Interno Franciscio is a house described as the meeting of rustic and contemporary. Featuring a wood interior structure, antique iron beams, and large stone slabs, the house has a special warmth to it while remaining...