- Foster + Partners Plan To 3D Print Buildings On The Moon
- Posted 20 months ago by Jack Lowe · Art & Design · 8553 Views
London-based architects Foster + Partners have revealed plans to print 3D structures on the moon in partnership with the European Space Agency. The technology will allow the team to use local materials on the moon as a building material, meaning they can print entire buildings from scratch. According to Foster + Partners, the idea of expanding to build lunar habitats could be realistic in the next few years, using dome designs to shield inhabitants from micro-meteoroids and space radiation.
The 3D printer itself will have an array of nozzles on a 6 meter frame, each of which will spray binding solution onto the sand-like material, building up structures one tiny layer at a time. "First, we needed to mix the simulated lunar material with magnesium oxide. This turns it into 'paper' we can print with,' explains monolite founder Enrico Dini. "Then for our structural 'ink' we apply a binding salt which converts material to a stone-like solid. Our current printer builds at a rate of around 2 m per hour, while our next-generation design should attain 3.5 meters per hour, completing an entire building in a week."
- Video: Specialty Coffee - The Pursuit of Deliciousness
- 20 months ago · culture · 2 Comments · 9568 Views
- If you're into your coffee, then this is the short film for you. Created by visual entertainment company Thrash Lab, the 12-minute video focusses on three of their favourite speciality coffee companies and examines how the taste,...
- Vanishing Elephant Spring/Summer 2013 Lookbook
- 20 months ago · style · 1 Comment · 5291 Views
- Australian label Vanishing Elephant have unveiled a sophisticated lookbook showcasing their soon-to-be-released Spring/Summer 2013 collection. Featuring slim cut trousers, selvedge jeans, warm-toned jackets, check button-down...
- The Strokes Announce New Album
- 20 months ago · music · 0 Comments · 5643 Views
- Following from the release of new track "One Way Trigger", New York band The Strokes have announced an upcoming album entitled Comedown Machine. Scheduled for release on 26 March through RCA, the album will be the band's first since Angles in 2011. "All The Time" will be the first...
- Tracey Emin in Times Square
- 20 months ago · Art & Design · 3 Comments · 7328 Views
- Three minutes before midnight every evening next month, a neon romantic message by Tracey Emin will appear on 40 video screens in the heart of Times Square in New York. Just in time for Valentine's Day, the lovelorn phrases include "Love is what you want" and "I can't believe how...
- Stussy Japan & Banana Board Cruiser
- 20 months ago · culture · 1 Comment · 3619 Views
- Stussy Japan have teamed up with Banana Board - a plastic skateboard company founded by the legendary Lance Mountain - for an original mini cruiser skateboard. Featuring a black deck, dark blue wheels and silver trucks, the cruiser represents the staple colours of Stussy Japan and...