- Passengers by John Schabel
- Posted 13 months ago by staff · Art & Design · 11329 Views
Passengers is a new book featuring photographs taken by John Schabel back in the mid-90s which, if taken today, could potentially get him in a lot of trouble. Shot from the end of an airport runway using a 500mm reflex lens with a 2x teleconverter lens (giving him 1000mm zoom) without anyone's permission, the eery and grainy images depict airplane passengers entirely wrapped up in their own thoughts before takeoff. Speaking to Wired, Schabel said: "It was a different time and there was not the same kind of suspicion of cameras… There wasn't such a sensitively about the airport."
The images in the book are scans of 8x10 prints Schabel made in the darkroom and have been meticulously curated by him and Jack Woody - the founder of publishing house Twin Palms - to make sure the final book turned out exactly the way they wanted. "I think viewers can identify with those situations and then bring their own feelings to it," he says. To emphasising this, each photograph has been given its own page and there is almost no text, isolating the passengers from any context even further.
Passengers is available now from Twin Palms for $60 USD (approx. £38).
- YMC Women's Spring/Summer 2013 Lookbook
- 13 months ago · style · 1 Comment · 3159 Views
- Accompanying the first drop of goods in their online store, British label YMC (You Must Create) have released their womenswear Spring/Summer 2013 lookbook. Featuring lots of summery prints and bright colours, the collection is highly influenced by both fashion and interior trends...
- Video: Shwood Select 2013 Lookbook
- 13 months ago · style · 0 Comments · 2880 Views
- Filmed and edited by Joe Stevens, the new video lookbook from Portland-based eyewear company Shwood showcases the new Select line, which features five silhouettes each made from the world's finest hardwoods and rare burls. New features include a custom travel case hand sewn from...
- Video: Local Natives - Heavy Feet
- 13 months ago · music · 0 Comments · 3502 Views
- Los Angeles-based band Local Natives have released the official video for track "Heavy Feet," which features on their new Hummingbird album. Directed by the talented Ben Reed - who has worked with bands like Clock Opera in the past - the surreal and dreamlike video follows the adventures...
- Video: The Making Of Joey Bada$$'s Unorthodox Video
- 13 months ago · music · 0 Comments · 3045 Views
- In the lead up to the release of the visuals for Joey Bada$$ track "Unorthodox", record label Green Label Sound (curated by Mountain Dew) have shared a making-of video. Directed by renowned duo Coodie and Chike (founders of NY...
- Lacoste Autumn/Winter 2013 Collection
- 13 months ago · style · 1 Comment · 1314 Views
- Pushing forward into the world of high fashion, French apparel company Lacoste and their Portugese designer Felipe Oliveira Baptista have delivered an Autumn/Winter 2013 collection filled with futuristic designs, modern materials, and avant-garde silhouettes. A nod to the brand's...