• The Attendant Cafe in London
  • Posted 30 months ago by Jack Lowe · culture · 42525 Views
  • After more than fifty years of lying dormant, an abandoned underground Victorian toilet has been transformed into a unique new cafe called The Attendant. The former Victorian Gentleman's convenience is located in the heart of London's Fitzrovia and sees the original porcelain urinals, designed by Doulton & Co in 1890, turned into one long seating table. The old attendant's office has also been kept, complete with payment window, and has been turned into a little kitchen. Of course, the setting is nothing without the food and drink, so coffee beans have been sourced from The Caravan Roastery and a healthy range of meals are available for breakfast and lunch, including home baked bagels, pulled pork sandwiches, and wholesome roasted vegetable salads.

www.the-attendant.com

• that's kinda gross.
    • hunglikejesus Posted 30 months ago · 135 Reply
    • yeah, kinda gross.
    • ithinkidied Posted 30 months ago · 130 Reply
    • Looks cool, but I kinda have to agree about the gross thing.
    • Tom Posted 30 months ago · 124 Reply
    • Gross? Jesus, get over yourselves - it's porcelain, and has been sterilised. In any case, dear euwgrossers, after fifty years of not being used any germs would have been long dead. This is an amazing repurpose of the kind of beautifully designed spaces we're entirely incapable of recreating these days. Top fucking marks, The Attendant.
    • Travis Lyle Posted 30 months ago · 156 Reply
    • I say - well done you! Nothing like a bit of upcycling!!
    • Sandlings Aldeburgh Posted 30 months ago · 143 Reply
    • Nothing like a sassy bit of uniqueness in hard-to-impress london town
    • Juliet Posted 30 months ago · 145 Reply
    • This was done in Manchester years ago with a bar called Temple. Another example of what Manchester does today London does tomorrow. Or even 10 years later like with the Olympics. http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/39/3900/Temple/Manchester
    • Tom Posted 30 months ago · 157 Reply
    • Can't overcome the thought of eating/drinking in the loo.
    • MunChing Posted 30 months ago · 139 Reply
    • Love it, I'd go. What are the toilets like?
    • AlanEvans Posted 30 months ago · 158 Reply
    • I couldn't agree more with Tom! This building has a new purpose and I am sure any of our old house bathroom, WC could of been converted into part of the kitchen or bedroom. Does that gross you out and cross your mind? People are so narrow minded these days...
    • Monikulia Posted 14 months ago · 93 Reply
    • Yes it may be a challenge to our OCD leanings But I thought it was more than wonderful I will be recommending highly x
    • Karen lambert Posted 13 months ago · 116 Reply
    • Tom. I worked in the construction line and I'd like to tell you, there's only this much you can do to sterilize a used toilet.Given a choice, I wouldn't be eating at the urinal either. Over a century, you wouldn't know what diseases can be released either.
    • Richard Posted 5 months ago · 44 Reply