- Scientists Invent Micro-Windmills That Could Charge Your Smartphone
- Posted 9 months ago by Jack Lowe · tech · 6236 Views
Scientists working at the University of Texas Arlington have managed to develop tiny micro-windmills which measure just 1.8mm in width, meaning you could fit about 10 of them on a single grain of rice. According to researcher J.C. Chiao, if you were to stick a hundred of them to a smartphone case and hold it in the wind, it could charge your smartphone in just a few minutes.
Build using flexible nickel alloy components, the windmills are also surprisingly resistant and can stand up to strong winds without fracturing.
Apparently a Taiwanese fabrication foundry called WinMEMS has already arranged to have the exclusive rights to the commercialisation of the micro-windmills and they have already begun working on potential uses.
"These inventions are essential to build micro-robots that can be used as surgical tools, sensing machines to explore disaster zones or manufacturing tools to assemble micro-machines," UTA says. "Flat panels with thousand of windmills could be made and mounted on the walls of houses or building to harvest energy for lighting, security or environmental sensing and wireless communication."
- Actor Peter Mayhew Unveils Behind-The-Scenes Star Wars Photos
- 9 months ago · film · 3 Comments · 8391 Views
- As I'm sure the vehement Star Wars fans out there will already know, actor Peter Mayhew (who played Chewbacca) has released a collection of behind-the-scenes...
- Video: Apple's Latest iPad Air Commercial with Robin Williams Narration
- 9 months ago · tech · 7 Comments · 10857 Views
- For their latest iPad Air commercial, Apple have repurposed actor Robin Williams' speech from Peter Weir's 1989 film Dead Poet's Society to infer that...
- Loft Apartment with Hidden Furniture and Storage
- 9 months ago · Art & Design · 4 Comments · 8666 Views
- Located in Madrid, the Didomestic apartment was designed by Spanish studio Elii Architects and occupies the loft of an old building. In order to make the most of the relatively small space, the architects designed the interior...
- Rumour: Quentin Tarantino's New Film Named The Hateful Eight
- 9 months ago · film · 0 Comments · 4290 Views
- According to Deadline, the working title to Quentin Tarantino's unrelated Django Unchained follow up western is The Hateful Eight. They also reported...
- Café Kitsune Opening In Paris
- 9 months ago · culture · 0 Comments · 2858 Views
- Following from the success of their cafe in Tokyo, which opened last year, French company Kitsuné have announced that they are opening another in their hometown of Paris. The chain of cafés compliment the brand's clothing line and record label, becoming a hub for all of the company's...
- Mad Men Final Season To Premiere In April
- 9 months ago · culture · 2 Comments · 2094 Views
- According to the Hollywood Reporter, AMC's final season of the highly-acclaimed drama series Mad men will premiere on 13 April, 2014. The seventh season will be split into two halves, each one consisting of seven episodes and...
- Video: Epicly Later'd - Theotis Beasley
- 9 months ago · culture · 2 Comments · 4063 Views
- Next to take the spotlight in VICE's Epicly Later'd series is 22-year-old pro skateboarder Theotis Beasley. During the six-and-a-half minute video, Beasley takes us to his old stomping grounds in Inglewood, CA, and discusses his early skating days including meeting Andrew Reynolds...
- GQ Open Barbershop in NYC
- 9 months ago · culture · 0 Comments · 2141 Views
- Smartening up men one city at a time, GQ have teamed up with Fellow Barber to establish the GQ Barbershop in the Barclays Center, New York City. The relatively modest 400-square-foot space is located inside the main concourse and offers visitors anything from a quick shave to the...