- New £1 Coin Unveiled
- Posted 4 months ago by staff · Art & Design · 3656 Views
The famous British pound coin is being replaced after a "loyal service" of 30 years. The replacement coin, which is due to be introduced in 2017, will be based on the threepenny bit and will feature 12-sides, making it one of the hardest in the world to fake. It will remain roughly the same size as the existing coin, but will also have a "bimetallic" construction similar to the existing £2 coin.
According to the treasury, the current pound has a 3% forgery rate - which means about £45m worth are currently in circulation.
"With advances in technology making high value coins like the £1 ever more vulnerable to counterfeiters it’s vital that we keep several paces ahead of the criminals to maintain the integrity of our currency," said the treasury. "We are particularly pleased that the coin will take a giant leap into the future, using cutting edge British technology while at the same time, paying a fitting tribute to past in the 12-sided design of the iconic threepenny bit."
- Sofia Coppola's Next Film Is The Little Mermaid
- 4 months ago · film · 1 Comment · 5319 Views
- Director Sofia Coppola - best-known for Lost in Translation, The Virgin Suicides, and Marie Antoinette - is apparently in talks with Universal to make a live action version of The Little Mermaid. The writer behind Edward Scissorhands,...
- Student Destroys Sculpture While Taking A Selfie
- 4 months ago · Art & Design · 3 Comments · 7337 Views
- If you got annoyed about that kid climbing on a Donald Judd artwork at Tate Modern, you're going to pulling your hair out about this. A student in Milan decided to take the best selfie he could manage, climbing onto a 19th century...
- Video: Vivienne Westwood Takes A Shower for Peta
- 4 months ago · Art & Design · 0 Comments · 2181 Views
- As part of Peta's campaign to link the amount of water the meat industry uses with the current world water crisis, iconic British fashion designer Dame Vivienne Westwood has taken off her clothes and jumped into the shower to...
- Google Unveil Android Wear OS
- 4 months ago · tech · 0 Comments · 3036 Views
- As details begin to emerge about the revolutionary potential of Apple's upcoming "iWatch", Google are getting in on the wearable tech action and have unveiled Android Wear - an operating system designed especially for smart watches. In the one-and-a-half minute video we see all the...
- Trailer: Peanuts
- 4 months ago · film · 0 Comments · 2203 Views
- The official teaser trailer has been released for the big screen version of Charles M. Schulz's comic strip Peanuts. "It's long overdue," said Charles Schulz's son Craig Schulz when speaking to USA Today. "The fans have been asking for a long time, but we held off until the time...