- American Apparel Has Fired CEO and Founder Dov Charney
- Posted 1 month ago by staff · culture · 5525 Views
American Apparel has issued a statement announcing that its Board of Directors voted to replace its founder and CEO, Dov Charney. His employment was terminated "for cause" and follows from an ongoing investigation into allegations of misconduct. "We take no joy in this, but the Board felt it was the right thing to do," said board member Allan Mayer. "Dov Charney created American Apparel, but the Company has grown much larger than any one individual and we are confident that its greatest days are still ahead."
The 45-year-old founded the company in 1997, but came under fire in 2011 when four female former employees filed a sexual harassment suit. At the time, the company defended Charney, claiming that the friends were all colluding to "shake down" the company for money. In 2012, Charney also faced a wrongful termination suit for the allegedly choking and rubbing dirt in the face of a former store manager in Malibu. He also supposedly called the employee "a wannabe Jew" and a "fag". The company denied all allegations.
A source close to the recent firing has spoken to the Chicago Tribune, saying that Charney has been "totally taken by surprise" by his termination. "He's going to fight like hell to get this company back, but he won't succeed."
During this period John Luttrell has been appointed as the company's interim CEO.
- Booooooom & Herschel Supply Co. Collaborate On Limited Edition Backpack
- 1 month ago · style · 1 Comment · 2177 Views
- Art blog Booooooom has collaborated with Herschel Supply Co. to produce a limited edition backpack and art project "Drawing On The Past". For the project,...
- New Music: Nao vs A.K Paul - So Good
- 1 month ago · music · 0 Comments · 1506 Views
- A.K Paul is the brother of music's most mysterious man, Jai Paul, he has teamed up with London vocalist Nao for this great synth funk jam. Speculation about new Jai Paul music is still rife, XL Records in house producer Rodaidh McDonald confirmed in an interview with Dazed Digital...
- Element Introduce The Catalina Shoe
- 1 month ago · style · 0 Comments · 1354 Views
- Element is proud to introduce the Catalina - a shoe inspired by the lifestyle of architect Janne Saario - as part of its summer Emerald Collection. Living out in Finland, Saario is surrounded by an abundance of lakes and forests. It's these elements that have been pulled into the...
- Premiere: Kult Country - Atlas Haze
- 1 month ago · music · 0 Comments · 1560 Views
- Mancunian sextet Kult Country are releasing their new single “Trembling Moon” with the freshly minted No Self Records at the end of the month. It's shoegazey brilliance has already received plenty of attention front the likes of Consequence of Sound, Tom Ravenscroft (BBC...
- A Preview of Five New Emojis
- 1 month ago · tech · 0 Comments · 2602 Views
- Yesterday we reported that a 250 new Emojis are on their way with the upcoming Unicode update, but until now we haven't been able to see any of the actual new designs. We're assuming that these icons still need to be refined and coloured in, but they at least give you an idea of...