- Anna Wintour Gives Some Honest Advice To Fashion Students
- Posted 3 months ago by Jack Lowe · culture · 9969 Views
Earlier this month the editor-in-chief of American Vogue, Anna Wintour, descended on Central Saint Martins to give some no-crap advice to aspiring fashion designers. Namely, stop dreaming about having your own brand and get a job. This is a woman who's helped Alexander Wang, Rodarte and Proenza Schouler to succeed, so she knows what she's talking about… Here's a breakdown of what she said.
One of the most important things to do? Get a job, any job. "Whether it’s working as a designer or working in a restaurant and then doing your own thing in your own time, it’s a reality of life. In the end it’s going to be helpful to you and so many others."
She also advised students to think very carefully before setting up their own label, as most of them fail. "I do think there is a tradition in England, that you can do anything with nothing. The only thing I worry a little bit about, going straight from school to starting your own business, is not that many succeed… I personally would advise you to think carefully before you start your own business, and consider possibly working for a designer or a company whose work you admire. It’s not just about one road."
For those who do decide to set up their own company, Wintour advised teaming up with someone else. "It’s important to have someone to talk to and discuss everything with and bounce ideas off. I have not seen too many successful designers who’ve managed alone, without their business partner."
Finally, when you reach a level where you're starting to splash cash around promoting your collections, don't waste it on a runway show. "Please listen to me when I say: an interesting creative presentation is just as effective as a fashion show… I see people who are paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for fashion shows, which I simply don’t think is necessary. A presentation gives us all an opportunity to meet you, rather than to go and sit in some dark room somewhere and wait for you to start, then (have) no time to say 'hello', and rush off to the next one."
So there you have it, the woman has spoken!
- Glastonbury 2014 Playlist
- 3 months ago · music · 0 Comments · 2255 Views
- With a plethora of acts set to play the most famous festival in the world Glastonbury this year, we’ve compiled a playlist of music from bands that we think'll be just as essential to go and see as those headlining slots from the likes of Arcade Fire and Metallica. With hundreds...
- Student Gets Trapped Within Giant Vagina Sculpture
- 3 months ago · Art & Design · 6 Comments · 12963 Views
- In what we're guessing wasn't his proudest moment, a US student found himself trapped within a giant sculpture of a vagina. Twenty-two firefighters attended the event, although it's unclear whether they were all there to free...
- Giant Underground Trampolines Suspended Within A Welsh Mine
- 3 months ago · culture · 0 Comments · 3611 Views
- Due to open next month in the historic Welsh mining town of Blaenau Ffestiniog, Bounce Below is a series of giant trampolines suspended 180 ft above the...
- Kanye West Hosted a 'Kidchella' Festival for North's First Birthday
- 3 months ago · culture · 0 Comments · 3052 Views
- To celebrate his daughter North West’s (still amazing) first birthday Kanye threw a Coachella-themed party aptly named, ‘Kidchella’....
- Trailer: Video Games: The Movie
- 3 months ago · film · 0 Comments · 2279 Views
- The official trailer has been released for Video Games: The Movie, which takes an in-depth look at the culture surrounding video games and how they've affected and shaped our lives. Created by Variance, the film was partially funded through Kickstarter and has backing from Zach Braff...
- The Netatmo June - A Bracelet That Tells You When To Get Out Of The Sun
- 3 months ago · tech · 0 Comments · 1098 Views
- As we come into the hottest months of the year, the fair-skinned readers amongst you might be pleased to hear about a new bracelet which tells you when...
- A London Bus Stop Made Entirely From Lego
- 3 months ago · culture · 0 Comments · 2942 Views
- Transport for London managed to bring a smile to the faces of Londoners this weekend with a bus stop made entirely out of LEGO. Made from over 100,000 bricks, the bus stop is a collaboration between TfL, LEGO, and Trueform, and...