- Anna Wintour Gives Some Honest Advice To Fashion Students
- Posted 4 weeks ago by staff · culture · 9476 Views
Earlier this month the editor-in-chief of American Vogue, Anna Wintour, descended on Central Saint Martins to give some no-crap advice to aspiring fashion designers. Namely, stop dreaming about having your own brand and get a job. This is a woman who's helped Alexander Wang, Rodarte and Proenza Schouler to succeed, so she knows what she's talking about… Here's a breakdown of what she said.
One of the most important things to do? Get a job, any job. "Whether it’s working as a designer or working in a restaurant and then doing your own thing in your own time, it’s a reality of life. In the end it’s going to be helpful to you and so many others."
She also advised students to think very carefully before setting up their own label, as most of them fail. "I do think there is a tradition in England, that you can do anything with nothing. The only thing I worry a little bit about, going straight from school to starting your own business, is not that many succeed… I personally would advise you to think carefully before you start your own business, and consider possibly working for a designer or a company whose work you admire. It’s not just about one road."
For those who do decide to set up their own company, Wintour advised teaming up with someone else. "It’s important to have someone to talk to and discuss everything with and bounce ideas off. I have not seen too many successful designers who’ve managed alone, without their business partner."
Finally, when you reach a level where you're starting to splash cash around promoting your collections, don't waste it on a runway show. "Please listen to me when I say: an interesting creative presentation is just as effective as a fashion show… I see people who are paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for fashion shows, which I simply don’t think is necessary. A presentation gives us all an opportunity to meet you, rather than to go and sit in some dark room somewhere and wait for you to start, then (have) no time to say 'hello', and rush off to the next one."
So there you have it, the woman has spoken!
- Glastonbury 2014 Playlist
- 4 weeks ago · music · 0 Comments · 1922 Views
- With a plethora of acts set to play the most famous festival in the world Glastonbury this year, we’ve compiled a playlist of music from bands that we think'll be just as essential to go and see as those headlining slots from the likes of Arcade Fire and Metallica. With hundreds...
- Student Gets Trapped Within Giant Vagina Sculpture
- 4 weeks ago · Art & Design · 6 Comments · 12057 Views
- In what we're guessing wasn't his proudest moment, a US student found himself trapped within a giant sculpture of a vagina. Twenty-two firefighters attended the event, although it's unclear whether they were all there to free...
- Giant Underground Trampolines Suspended Within A Welsh Mine
- 4 weeks ago · culture · 0 Comments · 3137 Views
- Due to open next month in the historic Welsh mining town of Blaenau Ffestiniog, Bounce Below is a series of giant trampolines suspended 180 ft above the...
- Kanye West Hosted a 'Kidchella' Festival for North's First Birthday
- 4 weeks ago · culture · 0 Comments · 2672 Views
- To celebrate his daughter North West’s (still amazing) first birthday Kanye threw a Coachella-themed party aptly named, ‘Kidchella’....
- Trailer: Video Games: The Movie
- 4 weeks ago · film · 0 Comments · 1961 Views
- The official trailer has been released for Video Games: The Movie, which takes an in-depth look at the culture surrounding video games and how they've affected and shaped our lives. Created by Variance, the film was partially funded through Kickstarter and has backing from Zach Braff...