- Darren's Great Big Camera
- Posted 42 months ago by Jack Lowe · Art & Design · 7471 Views
A new short documentary from Sultan follows photographer Darren Samuelson on a journey out to San Francisco's Lands End to test out his giant handmade camera, which shoots on 14 x 36" negatives and measures 6ft in length.
"There was no design in place. It seemed easier for my head to build the camera one section at a time. The bellows were first. I had to move my couch and almost everything else out of my apartmentís living room just so I could lay the material flat and glue everything together. Two weeks of hard labour, windows open, and contact cement everywhere. When it was time to fold the bellows down, they wouldnít go. I tried all kinds of things, clamps, taping them to the floor, coffee, nothing worked, I had measured incorrectly. All that time was wasted with exception to the hard lesson. The next day, I ordered more of the materials and 3 weeks later, I had my bellows. From the bellows, I built the rear portion of the camera, then the front, the rails, etc. I used my 4◊5 and 8◊10 cameras as reference for building the different sections. Construction time was about seven months, although I still donít consider it done. There were so many design ideas that I tried, and now laugh at, but thatís just part of the process."
Watch the video below.
- Zap: Masters of Psychedelic Art, 1965-74
- 42 months ago · Art & Design · 2 Comments · 7638 Views
- Zap: Masters of Psychedelic Art, 1965-74 is a new exhibition currently on show at Andrew Edlin Gallery in New York. Curated by Gary panter and Chris Byrne, the exhibit features seven prominent artists from the original Zap comic lineup - Robert Crumb, Victor Moscoso, Rick Griffin,...
- Roxanne Lowit
- 42 months ago · Art & Design · 1 Comment · 8035 Views
- New York-based photographer Roxanne Lowit first rose to fame photographing fashion's "elite" and eventually found herself as much a celebrity as those she shot. After studying art history and textile design, Lowit decided to trade in her paintbrush for a camera, realising that she...
- Dana Tanamachi for Ace Hotel NYC
- 42 months ago · Art & Design · 0 Comments · 8796 Views
- The Ace Hotel in NYC recently commissioned graphic designer and custom chalk letterer Dana Tanamachi to produce a mural in room 1021. The result is an intricate sign that reads "Free Admission To Those Who Dream" behind the room's bed. Watch a time-lapse video of the Tanamachi creating...
- Skyloft Penthouse in Tribeca, NYC
- 42 months ago · Art & Design · 1 Comment · 9255 Views
- If you weren't impressed with the $30 million loft apartment we showed you before, here's a penthouse that costs $15 million moreÖ The Skyloft Penthouse in Tribeca, NYC, is just under 7,500 square foot and features an all-glass exterior designed by James Carpenter Design Associates...
- David Lynch Designs Silencio Club
- 42 months ago · Art & Design · 0 Comments · 8120 Views
- The Silencio Club in Paris have announced that director and musician David Lynch will be designing their new interior. The space, which takes its name from the club in the Lynch film Mulholland Drive, features a concert hall, a cinema, an art library, a restaurant and a cocktail...